Thursday, September 8, 2011

If only this was my whole life.


Guess where I just went! I will tell you. I went to Maui. I could write pages and pages of all the amazing things that happened to us (Me, Natalie, and Emily) but I will just point out the highlights. In order of occurrence. Maui Seaside Hotel. We stayed here for a total of four days and three nights. We reserved their cheapest 98$ room and when we arrived we found the room in complete disarray. Furniture on the beds and wet floors. SO I complained and we got upgraded to a three bedroom suite with a kitchenette and Ocean view. Not bad for 98$. We also got 9 meal vouchers for their little breakfast restaurant, and let me tell you, the waiters at the Coconut grill were the grumpiest I have ever met. Never mind that. The food was decent. And free. We spent our first day in town, at the Queen Ka'ahumanu Shopping center. They had some pretty neat stores and good deals. We spent the afternoon there because we didn't want to waste money on a half a day of an adventure and this was right across the street from our lovely hotel. After dinner I got to experience Yogurt Land for the first time. I think I went a little over board. But we went again and again and I perfected my cup with Cheesecake flavored yogurt, carmel, whipped cream, and lots and lots of mango. MMMM-mmm good. We got our sleep that first night and woke up bright and early to attend the Maui singles ward. It was a lot different then I expected. A lot of haoles. After church we went to the biggest, most amazing, hands-on aquarium in the world. Literally, the biggest Aquarium in the world. I saw sharks and turtles and sting rays and jelly fish  and octopus and we even got to go into a bubble that stimulated being eaten by a whale. Plus I touched a starfish and sea urchins. It was amazing. After the aquarium we had dinner at my new favorite restaurant Beach Bum's Bar and Grill. Best. Food. Ever. Ever Ever Ever. Fried Zucchini is my new favorite food. We finished the night with a trip to the mall to see The Help. It was truly an incredible movie! Funny, sad, and chilling. I would watch it again in a heartbeat. When we left the theatre was empty. No people, no employees, nothing. We walked out into the mall and it was empty too. I don't mean a few people in every store, shops closing down empty- I mean deserted. Gates over all the shops, lights off, escalators shut down, fountain quiet...that empty. It was crazy. We ran around the mall for awhile before going home. The next morning was an early day. We took a 45 minute bus ride to Lahaina (which was longer than the flight over). Lahaina was amazing. I want to live there. Its a tiny little artsy town packed with a variety of random little shops. I fell in love. We started with an art show that had paintings and jewelry and photography and all these unique homemade items. We got to walk around and check out all the cool stuff. Then we went up and down the street going in and out of these shops. It seemed like everyone had a sample to give us. I actually got full on samples. Shaved ice, cookies, chocolate, rootbeer floats, jelly, crackers, salsa...the list goes on. We also found an amazing homemade cosmetics shop made of all natural vegan products; Lush. I bought some sparkly solid lotion and edible exfoliating lip scrub. I guess it really does taste good because later at the beach a dog ate it all. I was livid. We cheered ourselves up with the most delectable Gelato. Never again will I waste my time with ice-cream. Gelato is the way to go- especially if you eat it on a pier in Maui. We finished walking around, split a burger at a local bar, and bussed home. Our last day in Maui passed too quickly. We were in search of one of those sandy white beaches but we couldn't find one. We still spent the whole day at the ocean, and I got BROWN. Seriously, I mean it this time. Then we took a dip in the hotel pool and caught a cab to the airport. We were back on Oahu within the hour. I have never had a better vacation in my life. It was completely spontaneous and relaxed. It was so nice to forget about rules and plans and school and work (Oh yeah I lost my job Friday). I will go back the next chance I get. Maui, I love you. I will always remember you. Love, Abby.

No comments: