Is it ungrateful to express gratitude only at the end of November? I'd say so. Rather than run the risk of sounding cliché by listing what I'm thankful for (okay real quick: colors, babies, sunshine...you get the idea) I just want to tell everyone what I like and love. Maybe you'll learn something new about me.
- Opera. I appreciate the arts. I wish I was one of those people who went to museums and gallery openings on Friday nights. I wish I could see a ballet and dine at a four star restaurant. But I have neither the funds not the company for such a night out. And what would I wear? But opera has been in my life for a long time. I was young when I discovered vibrato. I've been annoying my sisters and roommates ever since. I don't pretend to be skilled and I don't claim to sing well but I love belting out classics in the shower. And I love the power of music. And powerful music.
- Driving. Isn't it so fun to drive? And to go anywhere the road will lead you? I love to be behind the wheel. I even like being in the backseat. It's so nice to get bounced to sleep while the car hums along and the trees rush by in a blur and I'm left to my thoughts. These days just being in a car is comforting because the opportunity is so rare. And I don't get out often but when I do I circle the whole island. Maybe even twice. Driving is lovely.
- My Job. How many people can say they have their dream job at age 21? I couldn't be happier with my career choice. I've never considered anything besides teaching and it suits me. I love the weekdays as much as the weekend. I love being in class with my students and I love staying after to grade and attend meetings. I swear I've found the secret to happiness in life: Find a way to do what makes you smile and take money while you're at it.
- The 20s. I wish I was born in 1900 so I could spend my 20s in the 20s. Specifically in England. As part of a wealthy family. Okay so maybe I want to be an heiress/flapper. Maybe I've been watching too much Downton Abbey. I like people to be straightforward, respectful, and charming. All I know is I appreciate any era that is more refined than this one.
- Dreams. Have I blogged about dreaming before? No? Okay I will soon. Nighttime is the highlight of my days. I like to get in bed, relax my mind, and let the subconscious take over. So interesting. I've been practicing the art of lucid dreaming for a few years now and it has finally begun to pay off a hundredfold. Controlling your dreams is imagination in it's rawest and finest form. Is it bedtime yet?
Actually yes it is my bedtime for now. So I'm going to slip off to sleep and think of all my favorite things. Like raindrops on roses and whiskers on...actually I hate cats. Not a favorite. But puppies, sure.
Good night and Happy Thanksgiving.
No comments:
Post a Comment