Looking over some of my recent posts, I've noticed an air of negativity. No one likes a downer, and I'm constantly going on about the ick in my life. I guess I attribute that to taking things for granted. When everything is good, there is not a lot to discuss. I apologize- to myself mostly. Not a good habit. However about twice a month I have a recurring revelation, in which I am overwhelmed with what I have. The most recent was this morning.
I woke up early to the rain pounding on my roof. Heavy heavy rain, the kind you can actually smell. My first thought was; I'm so warm and dry. I'm safe under a roof, in a beautiful house, in a room to myself. On a bed with silky soft sheets and fluffy pillows. I'm so lucky. The rain stopped and I left the house to volunteer with New Student Orientation. As I was walking towards campus I felt as if I had been hit in the face with the view. The mountains were lush and green and looked like they were smoldering the way the sun filtered through the gray clouds. There were pink and yellow petals covered in dew drops. I even saw a rainbow. Again I thought to myself how lucky it was that I live in the most beautiful place in the world. I couldn't have imagined a more beautiful location to live. Then I arrived and took brand new freshman on a tour of BYU-Hawaii. As I walked them around campus I reflected on my college experience so far. Getting accepted into a school with 3% acceptance rate. Making friends who come from over 75 different countries. Having a chance to lead, learn, and serve- it was all so so lucky. It wasn't until later in the day, when the reality hit me. Again, I was walking home and passed the temple. Glowing white, ans sitting on a hill right down the road from my home. And then I realized I'm not lucky at all.
I'm blessed.
I'm so blessed to live in a warm home, in the beautiful state of Hawaii. I'm blessed to go to this church school lead by men and women of God. I'm blessed to be surrounded by people who aspire to do so much with their lives. I'm blessed to have a job I'm passionate about, and get paid to do what I love. I'm blessed to work with children, who are as perfect as anyone could be. I'm blessed to have a family I love and who loves me right back. I'm blessed to have technology to communicate with them and those who are far from me. I'm blessed to have money, and clothes, and food. I'm blessed to have vision, and hearing, and legs. I'm blessed to have nail polish, and a washing machine, and books. And I can't take these things for granted, and I can't forget who they come from. I can't get caught up in the negativity, I have to remember to be grateful. I am so so grateful for the beauty in my life. Most of all I'm grateful for the gospel of Christ, because without my Savior, none of the beauty would matter.
-Abby
![]() |
| View of Laie in the morning |

2 comments:
I'm not lucky I'm blessed, yes.
-Nicki Minaj
Where did you get that picture of Laie?! I love it.
Post a Comment